The New Year is here, yet again, and I say "bring it on"!!! I am super psyched about what doors could potentially be opened this year for you, for me - for everyone! To be 40 and finally find "what I want to be when I grow up" has been amazing and I'm jumping in with both feet. Are you feeling the same way!?! I truly hope so! Here's to the New Year and endless possibilities...
Oh, and don't forget your collard greens and black-eyed peas! Who couldn't use some good luck and additional money in the New Year? Not only that, but it's good for your health! Collards are packed with nutrition and provide anticancer properties. They offer an excellent source of vitamins B6 and C, chlorophyll and manganese. Collard greens are also a very good source of fiber and several minerals, including iron, copper and calcium. And those black-eyed peas? Like many beans, they are low in fat and high in quality protein and fiber. Here's a simple recipe to enjoy this New Year's Eve or Day - just switch to vegetable broth and omit the smoked ham to make this vegetarian. Feel free to play around with the measurements - some prefer more beans or more collards. Have fun with it!
Smoked Ham, Black-eyed Pea and Collard Green Soup
Time 25 minutes | Serves 4
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 4 ounces of cooked smoked ham
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound collard greens
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 16 ounce can black-eyed peas
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Splash of Tabasco (optional)
- In 3-quart saucepan, cook onions, garlic, ham over moderate heat, stirring occasionally
- While onion mixture is cooking, wash, discard stems and center ribs from collards
- Finely chop leaves
- Add collards, broth, water to onion mixture
- Simmer until collards are tender, about 20 minutes
- Rinse and drain black-eyed peas
- In a bowl mash half of peas with a fork
- Stir mashed and whole peas into soup and simmer 5 minutes
- Season soup with salt and pepper, stir in vinegar and Tabasco for a little or a lot of heat!
- Makes about 4 cups
Serve this with some corn bread and you've got a nice filling meal to start the New Year out right!
Wishing you and yours all the best in this New Year!!!